History

The mathematics department opened its doors on the 4th Aswin 2016 (September 20, 1959) two months following the formal announcement, on 30th Asadha, of commencement of M.A. /M.Sc. classes in Economics, English, History, Mathematics and Nepali. Begun at the University College in Tripureswor with only half a dozen students and a similar number of faculty members, the department now shares a common block with the Statistics Department in Kirtipur and has a student population of over three hundred and a faculty of thirteen.

Prof. Aasutosh Ganguly was the first head of department; other faculty members at the time included professors Keshav Dev Bhattarai, Govinda  Dev Pant and Dhup Ratna Bajracharya. The first batch of students graduated from the department in 1961. And ever since, and in spite of tumultuous twists and turns of the education system and of the whole country, there has been a steady output from the department, which has not only climbed up to the highest echelons of public office, but, more importantly, has fanned out to various nooks and corners of the country, manning schools and campuses in the form of teachers and lecturers. A number of passed out are also working in the foreign country as teachers.